Predannack Airfield on Cornwall's Lizard peninsula opened in May 1941. It was one of the many Royal Air Force bases that opened at a time when the South West of England was vulnerable to attacks by the German Luftwaffe. The base itself was attacked several times by the Germans and the Royal Air Force initiated many defensive and offensive operations during the war including anti-shipping strikes over the Bay of Biscay.
By 1944 the base's personnel reached its peak strength of 3,600 but in 1946 the airfield closed, being reduced to Care and Maintenance. Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd used the base from 1951 to 1957 and in 1958 it was taken over by the Royal Navy that uses it until today as a practice base. Predannack is also home to RAF 626 Volunteer Gliding Squadron unit and is also used by ShelterBox disaster relief charity and a model flying club.
Part of the base has been turned into a plane cemetery where old military planes and helicopters are left to decay under the wet Cornwall weather.
SEE ALSO: More abandoned military sites // More abandoned airports // More abandoned places in the United Kingdom // LIST OF ALL DESERTED PLACES
For more deserted places, LIKE US on Facebook and FOLLOW US on twitter
(Click here for the full post)