In the early days of the year 1943 and for several weeks, residents of San Juan Parangaricutiro town, in the Mexican state of Michoacán started hearing noises similar with thunder. These noises didn't come from the blue, cloudless sky but from the earth beneath them. The noises were followed by earthquakes which grew in number day by day.
On February 20th, the earth cracked and a 2-meter (6.5 inches) tall volcanic cone formed in the middle of a cornfield. By the next day the cone of Parícutin volcano had grown 50 meters (60 feet) tall and was ejecting ash and smoke. The volcano's growth and activity continued for months until it reached a height of 200 meters (650 feet) in June. This is when it started ejecting lava which moved towards the village of San Juan Parangaricutiro.
The residents had enough time to evacuate as the lava moved slowly and no life was lost. They all moved to a new location 30 km (18 miles) away forming a new town named Nuevo (New) San Juan Parangaricutiro. The old town was eventually buried under feet of volcanic rock. The only building that stands over the lava until today is the town's church. Being the town's tallest and perhaps the most solid building, saved part of the church from the wrath of lava.
SEE ALSO: More abandoned churches // More abandoned places in Mexico // LIST OF ALL DESERTED PLACES
For more deserted places, LIKE US on Facebook and FOLLOW US on twitter