The Old Taylor distillery is located just southeast of Frankfort, Kentucky in Woodford County. It was built in 1887 by Col. E. H. Taylor Jr., a longtime Frankfort mayor and descendant of Presidents James Madison and Zachary Taylor. The distillery was known for being the first to produce one million cases of straight bourbon whiskey. The Old Taylor's 83-acre complex was not only a place that made good bourbon whiskey but also one of Kentucky's most popular tourist attractions and a place for gatherings and weddings.
Col. Taylor died in 1922 at age 90. The distillery was sold in 1935 and was later consolidated with the adjacent Old Crow distillery. It shut down in 1972 when bourbon sales slumped. Whiskey barrels continued to be aged in Old Taylor's warehouses until the early 1990s.
Since 1972, when the distillery shut down, the property has been vandalized, neglected and reclaimed by nature. In May 2014 the new owner of the site announced plans to restore and reopen the Old Taylor distillery, putting it back to the Bourbon Trail.
SEE ALSO: More industrial sites around the world // More abandoned places in the United States // LIST OF ALL DESERTED PLACES
For more deserted places, LIKE US on Facebook and FOLLOW US on twitter
(Click here for the full post)