The Imari Kawanami shipyard on the island of Kyushu was one of the most famous abandoned places (or haikyo as they're called) in Japan. It was where, among others, the human torpedoes were produced during World War II.
The building was constructed in 1851 as a glass factory but it was later turned into a shipyard. During World War II, they shipyard was also used as a munitions factory. At its highest point, it housed over 2500 workers, including schoolgirls and Korean nationals.
After the war, the factory continued building and repairing ships but finally closed down in 1953. The shipyard was demolished in November of 2011 by the city of Imari in order to be turned into a public part.
SEE ALSO: More industrial sites around the world // More abandoned places in Japan // LIST OF ALL DESERTED PLACES
For more deserted places, LIKE US on Facebook and FOLLOW US on twitter