The Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church was built in 1911 in Detroit, Michigan to serve congregants located in what was then the north Woodward area. The church had 163 members. Designed by architect Sidney Badgley, Woodward Avenue Presbyterian is an English Gothic-style church, faced with rough rock and trimmed with a contrasting limestone, and measuring 184 feet (56 meters) long by 104 feet (31 meters) wide.
In 1921 the church had reached over 2200 members but by the 1950s many of them had started leaving Detroit for the northern suburbs. Only 404 members had left behind in 1971 and in 1981 the church merged with Covenant Church.
A death of a pastor in 2005 was the end of the Presbyterian church, then known as the Abyssinia Interdenominational Church. with the building left abandoned for the following years. In 2011 the interior was used as a set for the movie Alex Cross. A few years ago there were plans for the church to be turned into a homeless shelter but until today it remains one of the many abandoned buildings of Detroit.
SEE ALSO: More abandoned churches around the world // More abandoned places in Detroit and around Michigan // More abandoned places in the United States // LIST OF ALL DESERTED PLACES
For more deserted places, LIKE US on Facebook and FOLLOW US on twitter